Every site owner we work with wants to come up first in the searches.
While there are many self-proclaimed SEO specialist and companies offering these services, and everyone has their own “system”, a good SEO system is based on a few time proven strategies.
- Have Realistic Expectations. You can’t be at the top of the list for each and every search.
- Develop a plan and stick to it. It takes time to see results. Develop a good plan, implement it and let it take hold. Give it 30-45 days before you start making any significant tweaks.
- Do it the right way. This is an area where you don’t want to take shortcuts. Understand the basics of white hat and black hat tactics and why black hat will hurt you in the long run.
- Monitor your progress. Look at your stats BEFORE you start a program. Get a solid baseline so you can see the impact of your program. Then keep an eye on your progress.
- Measure your return on investment. Understand the cost of your progress. Does it make sense to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to improve your rankings? Are you getting a return on this investment?
Google and the other search engines are constantly changing their algorithms and SEO providers are always tweaking their tactics.
Here are a few of the basic strategies
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is part of a site design and site build.
- A site Should be optimized for mobile. In October 2016 mobile overtook desktop with mobile and tablet accounting for 51.3 percent of all web browsing. If your site is not mobile friendly that needs to be your first priority.
- The use of descriptive or keyword-relevant URLs has been an effective strategy for many years. Some research seems to indicate that using shorter URLs may lead to higher rankings. Google has indicated that anything after the first five words is probably not helpful.
- Local optimization is important. This ties in to the mobile use of your site.
- Improve your user experience. Providing a good user experience is key to good rankings.
- Use related keywords in your content. Keyword research is still a critically-important aspect of SEO. However, it shouldn’t just be about finding one or two words or phrases to use in your content.
- Write longer content (similar to custom research paper writing).
- Speed up your site. For years, Google has been emphasizing the need to have a fast site.
Lastly, SEO isn’t an exact science — nor even exactly a science. If an SEO provider guarantees results that sound too good to be true, be very suspicious and get a second opinion.